The Reverie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posters
Lilith (3537)
The Traveler{Jack}{Open by invite} - Page 2 I_vote_lcapThe Traveler{Jack}{Open by invite} - Page 2 I_voting_barThe Traveler{Jack}{Open by invite} - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 
Captain Jack (3326)
The Traveler{Jack}{Open by invite} - Page 2 I_vote_lcapThe Traveler{Jack}{Open by invite} - Page 2 I_voting_barThe Traveler{Jack}{Open by invite} - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 
Harin (2324)
Mari Bryn (2075)
Juss (1368)
Atnem (1088)
Tidus (684)
lalaland (482)
Link (479)
Tempest Wind (364)

Top posting users this month
No user

Top posting users this week
No user

The Traveler{Jack}{Open by invite}

+2
Mari Bryn
Captain Jack
6 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Traveler{Jack}{Open by invite} - Page 2 Empty Re: The Traveler{Jack}{Open by invite}

Post by Magnus Caine Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:34 pm

Alexander would finish off his rabbit, cheese, and wine, and begin chewing on the last bit of his bread when Mari returned. He would smile and nod at her, knowing it was impolite to talk with food in his mouth. His skepticism of Jack remained, that was, until the 'Former' Captain of the Guardians began showing off his magical talents. After a quick swallow, his mouth would stand simply agape. After Jack quit changing, and settled on the short swords and coat, Alex would finally speak up, and in the amount of excitement that a child had on Christmas morning, he would exclaim, "That.... is so freaking cool! How do you do that?!?! Is there like weapons stored in an extra-dimensional space, or do they meld into you, coming out when you call to them? You can really fight with all those different weapons? By Bahamut, I can only manage to get decent with this one thing, and I know how to stab people with daggers.... Oh man, I'm so freaking jealous!"
Magnus Caine
Magnus Caine
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Number of posts : 62
Usertitle : The Grand Vizier of Moderation
Moderation Color: Teal
Registration date : 2017-04-10

Back to top Go down

The Traveler{Jack}{Open by invite} - Page 2 Empty Re: The Traveler{Jack}{Open by invite}

Post by Mari Bryn Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:06 pm

"So...that's useful, " Mari said arching her eyebrow at Jack's display. "Saves you quite a bit of travel too, if your serious about cleaning up evil, won't find a much darker place than the ruins. Why are you headed there Alexander?" She asked sitting down against a tree, she pulled her knees up and rested her chin upon them. She looked at Alexander with intense curiosity..
Mari Bryn
Mari Bryn
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 2075
Usertitle : Public Relations Director
Moderation Color: Lavender
Registration date : 2009-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Jack Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:00 pm

Jack poured himself a glass of wine and sipped it, Enjoying the taste on his tongue, The sweet bitterness brought back memories of his bar. The Dragons Breathed. He sat down resolutely. "I will be claiming MY CITY, back from that evil bastard. He has the gall to leave traces of evil in MY CITY. Every dark soul in that realm will be wiped clean and their blood will baptize the land anew. Light will return there. And I swear if my bar is not still standing I will raise him up and destroy him again." He slammed his glass down so hard it almost shattered he nearly screamed in anger. Then he remembered where he was. He then visibly calmed himself. "My apologies. The wounds run deep."
Captain Jack
Captain Jack
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3326
Usertitle : The One and only

Moderation Color: Crimson
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.ffreverie.forumotionnet

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Caine Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:05 pm

Alex is taken aback by Jack's sudden outburst. Staying quiet, even after he was finished he finally got the courage to say something. Turning to Mari, "I want to go to the ruins simply to go, to see what is there and if there is anything..... well, if there is any treasure still worth taking." Turning to Jack, "I mean, if it is your city, I would hope you would give me your permission. I'm honestly really just looking for materia and magicite. Anything else is just gravy."
Magnus Caine
Magnus Caine
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mari Bryn Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:32 pm

Mari, too was startled by Jack's reaction, but she also understood it.  She arched her eyebrows at Alex's statement though, "So...you are an idiot," she scoffed "another stupid treasure hunter bound to get yourself killed. We could probably use your muscle and skills with whatever's in there though. I myself have one goal.  I need to find my friend if he's still in there, then if I can cure him from whatever it is that's drove him insane, good.  If not, I need to kill him."  Mari stretched her legs out in front of her and her arms out above her head.  

"Anywho," she said with a yawn, "We should get to bed.  We've got a big adventure tomorrow."  She jumped up off the ground, grabbed her bed roll and went over to the hollow under the large oak.  "I'm afraid I don't have extra bedding and such, but you're welcome to use my cloak Jack." She said turning her head towards the men with a smile before climbing under the tree.

Last edited by Mari Bryn on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Mari Bryn
Mari Bryn
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Jack Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:10 pm

"Follow me Alex", he said grabbing the bottle of wine as he got up and walked out to a clearing in the forest. He looked at the stars and smiled. A tear flowing down his cheek. He breathed deep the fresh air and felt the grass beneath his feet. He handed the bottle to Alex. " A drink with a new friend." He smiled as he pointed out over the ruined city in the distance.

"Up there is where I failed. Where I failed my friends, my soldiers and my world. So when I say it was my city. It was, and a splendorous city it was. Not as amazing as Windfall but then If I told you about that city you really would think I'm crazy." He looked at Alex. "I was brought back for a second chance at life. To awaken to this.... loss, pains me so."

He reached down into his coat pocket and wrapped his hands around something and smiled gleefully. "That old bastard." He laughed as he pulled out a small pipe and began to smoke from it. "He even included my prized possession. My wife carved this for me before she was tore apart by the Dark One...Murdering her and my unborn child." He shook his head. "I've been through so much... ah forgive me again. I seem to have been prattling along." He took the bottle back and took a large gulp. "What say we celebrate. After all its still my birthday." He laughed and handed the bottle back.
Captain Jack
Captain Jack
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Caine Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:31 pm

Alexander followed Jack, as he was bid to do, even ignoring Mari's insult to his intelligence. After listening to Jack's tale, he couldn't help but get emotional himself. Two fully grown men, standing on a hillside overlooking a ruined city, with tears streaming down their faces, what a sight. He stiffened himself up, wiped away he tears, and laughed with Jack. He had only just met this man, but he felt a connection with him as if he had known him for a long time. Taking the bottle, he took a swig. With a wry smile, he turned to Jack, " Even though it's your birthday , I didn't bake a cake, I'm afraid I didn't have enough candles...." Obvipusly making a joke that Jack was ages old, and also not, at the same time.
Magnus Caine
Magnus Caine
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Jack Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:04 am

He laughed and smoked his pipe gleefully. "The stars are beautiful tonight." He said looking up. "Such vastness and unknown worlds." He patted Alex on the shoulder. "Come on, we have a long few days ahead of us." He went back to the hovel and settled down near the fire, letting his magic fade he was shirtless again, He covered himself up and drifted off to a dreamless sleep.
Captain Jack
Captain Jack
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Caine Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:02 pm

Alex nodded in agreement with Jack. With a light yawn, "It is definitely time to get some sleep." Moving slowly and drowsily, Alexander began to remove his leather piecemeal armor: a couple of vambraces, a pauldron, two greaves, and a chest plate. None of them looked like they were made by the same person or out of the same leather, but they all looked well maintained and well used. As normal in his evening ritual, the young knight would take a whetstone and remove the songs from his halberd and daggers. Taking another moment to check the haft of his poleaxe, ensuring there was no fraying of the wood. He then proceeded to pull out a small work kit, and set about to the task of daily maintenance on his armor.

Satisfied with his result, he the reached into the haft of his halberd and pulled out a small orb. Smiling as he did it, he proceeded to place said orb into his forearm, the orb passing through his flesh with nary a ripple. The materia flower for a brief moment before hiding behind his flesh tone. Finding a comfortable spot near the fire, and using his traveling pack as a pillow, the tired man curled up in his cloak and fell quickly asleep, dreaming of the treasure and adventure that awaited this odd group tomorrow.
Magnus Caine
Magnus Caine
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mari Bryn Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Mari woke up just as the sky began to lighten. She walked to the stream to wash her face and get some water, returning to the makeshift camp she started another fire and put the water on to boil. She went and got some rations from her back and set about making a simple breakfast humming a melancholy song under her breath.

While breakfast cooked she took some time for stretching and meditation. Clearing her mind for the day ahead. As the sun began to rise and as the food finished simmering she looked her bow over for any developing cracks and examined the string for fraying. Assured that everything was in order she strung the bow, giving is a few half and three-quarter draws to ensure everything was in order.

Mari removed the food from the fire and dished some up for herself she sat to eat, leaning against a tree feeling the forest come awake as the sun crested the horizon.
Mari Bryn
Mari Bryn
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Jack Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Jack woke up an hour before dawn, His military training and nights spent as a vampire conditioned him for little sleep. He stretched out like a cat before getting quietly up and heading out to the hillside clearing.

He stood among the clearing breathing deeply and then began going through old training stances testing out his new body. Moving swiftly... though not as swiftly as he used to he noted he began to focus on the training.

Shifting from various stances, weapons and armor, he put on a display for the trees and crickets, honing his craft to the fine point it once held.
Captain Jack
Captain Jack
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Caine Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:45 pm

Alexander would wake up to the smell of food and a rumbling stomach. He wasn't crass enough to invite himself to food, so he would grab some dry jerky from a pouch in his pack. Making his way down to the stream he would also wash his hair and face. After that was done, he'd think for a moment, and then reach into his forearm and pull out the orb he placed in it last night. Socketing that materia into his weapon, a brief static charge would arc from axe blade to the spear tip. He smiled and proceeded to do his morning stretches. Satisfied with his morning regimen, Alex made his way back to camp, "Good morning Lady Mari." He would now his head, "My manners escaped me last night, but thank you for your hospitality." That being said he'd pop down next to the fire, almost brimming with anticipation for the events of today.
Magnus Caine
Magnus Caine
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusk Aerilius Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:02 pm

"Not again....", muttered Zeke to himself standing at the side of the river that laid before him. He'd have to find his way around again or find a different place to cross this time, his memories coming back to him of trying to walk across a log the day before to cross the river. He shuddered at the thought, "I could easily have drowned, need to be more careful... Grandfather always said I don't think my actions through enough...", his concern for 'drowning' without the need for actually breathing not fully sinking in. Zeke was almost certain he could hear people talking amongst themselves, but how many are there, and what if they're dangerous? The townspeople told him it was dangerous to go near the ruins, but Zeke knew there were sure to be secrets there, if only he could swim... Obviously not choosing drowning, he reassured himself, "Guess I travel to the voices. What's the worst that could happen really?"
Dusk Aerilius
Dusk Aerilius

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2017-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Mari Bryn Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:02 pm

"Alex," Mari said flatly when he came back from the stream. "I swear to the gods If you don't eat some of this food I will dump the pot on your head. We're a team for the time being, and teams take care of each other. If I have anything you need, or that will help you in anyway, I will give it to you. That's what people should do. I gave Jack my spare pair of pants for goodness sake, you can have some porridge. I even added berries to it." She said with a hint of a smile. "Honestly I probably made to much anyway, when it comes to porridge I make enough for 1 or 12 doesn't seem to be much middle ground." She said with a shrug and tossing an empty bowl to Alex
Mari Bryn
Mari Bryn
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Jack Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:04 pm

Jack stopped his training a few hours after dawn. Sweat pouring from his body, he stripped and then jumped in the stream to wash off. He then dried himself and got dressed and headed back to the copse. "Something smells good" He said as he walked in and greeted his new friends. His coat fluttering around him, his swords on his back, One black as pitch, and one bright as the dawn. "So do we have a plan of attack or are we just going to go explore and hope for the best?" he asked as he grabbed a bowl and some bread. "Thank you for breakfast Mari. Ill have to see if I remember how to cook some time, and treat you to the same." he said as he sat down and ate hungrily.
Captain Jack
Captain Jack
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Caine Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:21 pm

Alex was taken aback by Mari's brusqueness. Turning a slight shade of red, as he caught the flung bowl, "Lady Mari, I apologize if I offended you in some way. I was just raised to never invite myself to someone else's food. Father made sure of that." Given his past of stealing to survive, that was one of the lessons that stuck with him the most. His stomach grumbled at him, as if to protest his slowness, and he heeded its call, as he was now invited to vittles.

Filling his bowl to the brim, almost too much, the young knight began to greedily wolf down his breakfast. Though, potentially to everyone's surprise, not a single drop got spilled or went to waste. He was taught to eat by a soldier, after all.

After finishing his first bowl, he decides to wait, before going for seconds. Smiling at Jack, "I'm simply going to follow your lead," Motioning to both Mari and Jack, "I feel as if I'm the inexperienced one here. I should be able to hold my own, but I definitely don't want to hold either of you back." Looking once again at his hostess, "Yesterday you mentioned something about me being a stupid treasure hunter, I'm assuming you are referring to the dangerous nature of these ruins. Well.... honestly... I wasn't really prepared for that. I hadn't really head much about them, only that they were relatively untouched. Now that I think about it...." He started scratching his chin, "I think the person who told me about it was really trying to get me killed." Shrugging his shoulders, as if to play off his own mortality, "I guess it really wouldn't be the first time. Some people find my ... enthusiasm for adventure to be grating." His piece said, he got himself another half bowl, taking time now to savor the food."
Magnus Caine
Magnus Caine
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mari Bryn Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Mari tried to glower at Alex for a while but eventually couldn't hold it and burst out laughing. "You need to lighten up a bit Alex, and please stop with the lady stuff, it's a bit weird. Sorry if I was a bit rude. The ruins stole someone very important from me, and now I have to probably kill him, even though it's the right thing to do it's hard and it's got me a bit on edge. You seem like a capable fighter, even if you have no sense of direction. I'm glad you're here."

"I don't honestly know much about the layout of the city," Mari said in response to Jack. "I know Coran and the others were heading towards the center, they assumed that's where the richest residents and stuff lived and would therefore have the biggest rewards. If you have any ideas or places you want to go though, I'm in. We should get moving soon though, we're wasting daylight at this point."
Mari Bryn
Mari Bryn
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusk Aerilius Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:05 pm

"How to approach a group of strangers..." thought Zeke to himself. His grandfather had taught him the correct way to speak to other humans, but Zeke was admittedly never great at it. He didn't think it was truly his fault after all, his thoughts just came out jumbled sometimes, and not needing to breathe often left little to no room for breaks in between them. "Well, all I can do now is hope they're not monsters. If they are, I guess I'll just have to try to get away again, not that I really know where I am, or how to get back to that village. What was it called again? This isn't the time Zeke, just go talk to them!" he shouted, realizing he was no longer thinking to himself, rather yelling. "Splendid..." he muttered quietly, pushing his way past a bush, now spotting a campfire and what appeared to be a group of people eating. "Salutations!", shouted Zeke. "I mean... uh, hello!", much quieter this time, fearing he may have surprised them. "This is what you do to yourself, now they're going to stab you, great job.", thought Zeke, now seeing the weapons lying at their sides.
Dusk Aerilius
Dusk Aerilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Jack Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:21 pm

"I have no need for stealth, I am more of a front door knocking down type." he said with a laugh. "Alex worry not, you seem a capable warrior. I will trust you to have my back." he said with a comforting smile.

Jack heard the stranger approach and yell salutations. He hand went immediately to his sword, and then he remembered where he was "No this place is peaceful and along the road, Travelers are bound to come through." he thought to himself as he relaxed his grip.

He looked at the stranger as he chewed on some bread. "Who or more importantly what, are you, stranger?" he asked over his meal.
Captain Jack
Captain Jack
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Caine Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:30 pm

He laughed at his over worry of Mari's sternness, "I... ummmm... may have an issue with telling when people are joking or not." He turned slightly pinkish out of embarrassment again when he was called a decent warrior, "I'll try to live up to your expectations. Really I'm just along for the ride. Honestly I'm an bit nervous but I do have my training to fall back on."

It was about that time that Zeke stumbled into their clearing. Kind of jumping backwards, he landed in an odd half squatting position, "Why in Ramuh's glorious white beard would we stab you? Unless you are a bandit... and then we might have to." It was then that Alexander really took in this new person, comically large hands, a narrow, pointed beak helmet, and tiny spindly legs. This made Alex smile, not in a mocking sort of way, but more like an adventurer that has just succeeded in a quest. It was his lot in life to go out and find things he hadn't ever seen before, and he had never seen a Yuke.
Magnus Caine
Magnus Caine
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusk Aerilius Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:50 pm

"Did I surprise you? I'm sorry... It probably wasn't a good idea to shout in the middle of, well, wherever we are. Well I guess we're at a camp, your camp, one of your camps, singular camp..." said Zeke quickly. Slow down, they won't understand what you're saying. Focus. He answered the first question he heard, the man eating the bread, "What am I? I'm Zeke! Pleased to meet you! Oh, and I'm a Yuke or at least that's what my grandfather told me..." His mind then turned to the other man who asked him a question, "Bandit? I don't think I'm a bandit... I've never been told I was a bandit. I'm just Zeke? I am also lost though, and I keep running into rivers so my only choice was to continue this way. I'm trying to get to the ruins, but I don't have a map. I'm starting to thing the villagers that told me not to go to the ruins gave me bad directions on purpose..." Zeke added, sounding almost sad. "I don't mean to bother you all, but if you know where they are, I could use some help..."
Dusk Aerilius
Dusk Aerilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mari Bryn Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:02 pm

Mari looked quizzically at the newcomer and then smiled at him. "Hi Zeke, I'm Mari. We are in fact getting ready to head towards the ruins. Because we're all idiots, who can't stay away from cursed places apparently," she chuckled to herself before gesturing towards the food. "There's still a bit left if you're hungry, otherwise I think we're about ready to head out."
Mari Bryn
Mari Bryn
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Jack Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:12 pm

"Well then, Pleasant to meet you." Jack said as he shifted his weapons to a Halberd. His armor weaved around him into a plate type armor. "Ill take point then. Stay close and quiet. While I am not stealthy we should have some caution as we do not know what awaits us." He smirked at that comment.

He would welcome groups of monsters, to test his skills but not at the cost of the others. "We head first for the Dragons Breath." He sighed, "My old bar, It should still be standing."
Captain Jack
Captain Jack
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Caine Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:33 am

Alexander smiled at Zeke, approaching the stranger and extending his hand, for a handshake of course, "Hi there Zeke, I'm Alexander, nice to meet you." Regardless of if the newcomer would shake his hand or not, the young knight would return to his weapons, and start readying himself, mostly picking up his halberd and attaching his brace of daggers.

Performing a salute to the oldest member present, "Captain Jack, Squire Alexander reporting for duty." There was no hint of mockery in his voice, as he was being genuine in referring to Jack as his captain. It made sense, to him. Alex was hoping to learn much from this adventure, and he was glad to be doing so under the tutelage of a much more experienced adventurer.
Magnus Caine
Magnus Caine
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusk Aerilius Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:18 pm

"Nice to meet you Mari!", replied Zeke, looking inquisitively at the food she offered. "Oh, I actually uh... already ate. But thank you for the offer!", Zeke returned politely, suddenly curious about the curse that the ruins might hold. Curses didn't really bother him so much, as he more or less didn't understand them. Humans liked to believe everything old must be cursed it seemed, so he didn't dwell on it. The human who called himself Jack looked the oldest, or at the very least acted it, and mentioned 'his old bar'. "You have a bar? In the ruins? Are there actual dragons in the bar? Or is it a bar for dragons?", Zeke asked Jack. He'd never seen a dragon before, and was suddenly excited at the thought. The other man, Alexander, held out his hand, which Zeke recognized as what people called a handshake. Zeke gladly offered his own hand. He didn't understand why, but he always found it a funny way of greeting that he'd never grow tired of. "Nice to meet you as well Alexander!", Zeke replied in what could be considered a happy tone. He noticed Alexander salute the other man and call him Captain. So he must be the leader after all. Zeke was unsure whether to salute as well, so instead acted as if he was checking the time on his pocket watch, excited to get moving again, headed in the correct direction this time for sure, and happy to have found a group of allies to travel with. Hopefully these ones would be more durable than the last.
Dusk Aerilius
Dusk Aerilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next