The Reverie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posters
Lilith (3537)
First Engineer Discussion I_vote_lcapFirst Engineer Discussion I_voting_barFirst Engineer Discussion I_vote_rcap 
Captain Jack (3326)
First Engineer Discussion I_vote_lcapFirst Engineer Discussion I_voting_barFirst Engineer Discussion I_vote_rcap 
Harin (2324)
Mari Bryn (2075)
Juss (1368)
Atnem (1088)
Tidus (684)
lalaland (482)
Link (479)
Tempest Wind (364)

Top posting users this month
No user

Top posting users this week
No user

First Engineer Discussion

Go down

First Engineer Discussion Empty First Engineer Discussion

Post by Atnem Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:15 pm

In my most recent posts in The First Engineer I got pretty abstract. I think it could use a bit of explanation so that others might be able to appreciate it as much as I do. (I thought it was brilliant. Piggyback But you don't have to feel the same way. Razz )

I'll start as Maggie and Atnem approach the portal. They find that there are no sounds to hear, and can't even talk with one another. The earth becomes barren and the sky is red. Most of this destruction, the portal included, was all caused by the battle with Sin that is mentioned in the description of The Calm Lands.
The silence is caused the the area's proximity to the portal. A few properties of the portal are beginning to leak into the world, complete silence is one of them.

After crossing into the portal Atnem finds that his rope is gone, but the rest of his gear is still there. It's impossible for something to be in two places at once, so the rope must've chosen to stay with Maggie. Or, perhaps it is trapped between worlds. Maybe Atnem simply didn't want the rope to be there, so it wasn't.

I like to think this part of the story is very similar to the episode of Futurama where Bender gets shot into space. He becomes an omnipotent being to a group of tiny aliens, watches them, helps them grow, and destroys them before heading home. Similarly, Atnem gets lost, finds a blank slate of pure creative energy, builds a world, and destroys it before heading home.

In Atnem's new world, he is only limited by his own thoughts. He thinks it would be a bad idea to create other conscious beings, so he doesn't. He thinks that it is impossible to create a portal within a portal, so he can't. This is why his camp, and then everything else, disappear in the end. He goes outside and thinks about the time he met Maggie. He thinks about how he turned around and the camp was gone. As he's leaving, he thinks his world doesn't matter anymore, so it goes back to its original state of nothing.

The strange human-like being that talks with Atnem was sort of based off the same Futurama episode. Bender finds an entity that might be God, and has a casual conversation with it. The God gives no more information than he needs, and sends him on his way.

I'll be the first to admit that a lot of this doesn't make any sense. That's okay. I had fun with it. And that's what FFR's all about. jocolor
If you have any questions about the thread, feel free to ask me here. I'll make up something else that doesn't make any sense and give it to you as an answer. I hope you all enjoyed the story. It's almost done. Smile
Atnem
Atnem
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Number of posts : 1088
Usertitle : Some Guy

Registration date : 2010-01-22

https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Atnem-11428

Back to top Go down

First Engineer Discussion Empty Re: First Engineer Discussion

Post by Atnem Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:34 am

The last post feels really messy to me. I was eager to wrap up the story so I could start the next one. Oh well, no big deal. I had fun with it. Hope you enjoyed it too.
Atnem
Atnem
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Number of posts : 1088
Usertitle : Some Guy

Registration date : 2010-01-22

https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Atnem-11428

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum